Monday, July 16, 2012

Namaste Series: deepening Ashtanga practice in Thailand



During my practice of yoga in the last 6 years or so, I have found teachers I have been drawn to and types of classes that suit me best. Personally, I like a challenge, so getting sweaty and utilizing the class as a workout is definitely a plus. On the other hand, one of the reasons I grew to love yoga is because of its inherent relaxation properties and meditation work. The ideal for me is to find a challenging, invigorating class with an energetic and helpful teacher. Ashtanga yoga, in simple terms is a set series of yoga popularized by K. Pattabhi Jois and directly responsible for the western craze of "power yoga." Typically, the class is 90 minutes to 2 hours and quite challenging involving a majority of vinyasa flow and deep asanas. I had never specifically practiced at an ashtanga class, however, many of the studios I have attended over the years adopt a modified version and I was always interested in learning about this style in greater detail. When I came to Chiang Mai, and met up with some old friends from home, they could not stop talking about this intense ashtanga class at a nearby studio, Wild Rose, with a kick-ass instructor.  I was totally sold and had to check it out. The 2+ hour session certainly did not disappoint. The instructor, Vari (a former New Yorker), had both the skills to teach for all levels as well as the positive energy and words to motivate all the students. His class was a modified version of the exact Ashtanga series from India, however, I definitely noticed differences from previous classes and was very happy to take on a new challenge. One of my favorite parts of Chiang Mai is the laid-back, community atmosphere and Wild Rose Yoga certainly fits right into this. Following the intense class, everyone was on a serious high and hung around together for fresh juices at the restaurant next door. An ideal afternoon if I've ever experienced one. I can certainly see how one might come to Chiang Mai and stay for awhile….Namaste.



No comments:

Post a Comment