Thursday, July 19, 2012

Falling in love with Capetown


Perhaps it was a result of the most spectacular love-filled wedding weekend on the Umtamvuna River, perhaps it was the fascinating mix of cultures, religions, colors and landscape co-habitating together in a cosmopolitan urban oasis, or perhaps it was the strikingly beautiful and interesting men roaming the streets….whatever the cause I fell… hard for Capetown and I have a hunch this feeling might linger.


After a wonderful wedding celebration for Tina and Chris outside of Durban, I made my way to the other side of South Africa to meet up with my mom and sister who would continue on the African journey with me. We began our trip towards Capetown driving along the "Garden Route" and stopping in a few quaint towns along the coast on the way.

Bride and Groom

Driving on the other side
beautiful coast of Hermanus
playing with elephants in Knysna
Once we arrived in Capetown, I could feel the energy of the city already and it wasn't just the chill from the mid-winter breeze. Our hotel, centrally located in the city, was the perfect homebase from which to set out exploring everything from fine dining to live music, local artisan crafts, one-of-a-kind handmade shoes, museums, colorful neighborhoods, tourist attractions and everything in between. I hadn't had much of an idea for what the city had to offer and any expectations I had were certainly exceeded. I loved the mix of urban culture with a laid-back vibe. It was a big-enough city yet felt manageable, the people were friendly, the neighborhoods each had their unique distinctions and life overall seemed to be good. Now of course, you can't know a city in 5 days, but I have to say Capetown…you have my heart, I'll be seeing you soon…


on top of tabletop mountain
Bo-Kaap neighborhood
Grandt Mason Original Shoes showroom
view of the city

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cara

    It is always special to hear such wonderful things being said about Cape Town and I know we (as Africans) are always happy that negative perceptions about Africa are being demolished by travellers as yourself. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huntley! Apologies I never replied to any of the comments years ago, I was just re-reading some old posts and saw your comment. I have since been back to Capetown (for another wedding) and friend trip and remains one of my favorite places on the planet!! happy holidays!

      Delete