Monday, February 6, 2012

Where I Rest My Head: Santiago, Chile

My apartment building
After about 15 hours and 3 airports later, I´ve arrived in Chile. In a semi-delirious state I managed to find my ride from the airport and make my way to my homestay in Providencia, a fairly residential, upper middle-class neighborhood (Barrio) in Santiago. My host family, Zaida and Rodriguo, in their mid-30´s, and their 6- year old son, Noel, own a few apartments in the building so the feeling is more of a guest house environment with many students staying throughout at any time. The family speaks next to no English, so as a very beginner Spanish student, this is quite challenging, but they are patient with me and I hope I´ll be feeling more comfortable after one week of classes.

Currently, the main apt where I live is also shared by a student from Brazil, Mariana, who is very nice and has been introducing me to the other students on the program that she is friends with. My first night here we walked over to the student group house that is a few blocks away and went to grab some drinks with a small group (Brazilians, Canadians, Norwegian) It is a great mix of people from all over the world. The common language among everyone is really Spanish, although many speak at least some English, so I can imagine how funny it must have sounded, a big table of random English, Spanish and Portugese all mixed together. I am able to understand more things in Spanish that I can speak of course, it´s definitely challenging but everyone is very nice so I don´t feel totally overwhelmed. Saturday night drinks turned into dancing in the clubs until nearly 4am. I honestly don´t think I´ve really slept much since I arrived, yet somehow, I´m not completely exhausted, must be the adrenaline....Yesterday was a breath of fresh air as I was able to meet a friend from high school, Stacy, see her new baby and catch up (in English!). It is so nice to have an American friend who is familiar with the city and has a lot of great advice for things to do and see. My classes start today so I´m eager to get my Spanish going and maybe do a little celebrating for mi cumpleaños.

Location: Providencia, Santiago, Chile
Accomodation: Private bedroom in 3-bedroom apartment
Length of Stay: one month

 Dormitorio
Cocina

Sala de estar
Chiao!



1 comment: