Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Namaste Series: Zen Yoga, Nica Yoga

During my stay in Nicaragua, I had the pleasure of practicing at two different, but equally special, spaces. Zen Yoga is located in the center of town in San Juan Del Sur. They offer daily classes, multiple times a day very similar to an American style studio. The space is peaceful and calm and is run by ex-pats so most students seem to be travelers or local "gringos." The first class I took here was a fairly standard vinyasa flow led by Kristin, an American originally from Philly who has lived here permanently for about a month. She led the class of 8 students (a mix of Australian, American and British men and women) through an hour of challenging poses and flows. Kristin spoke about the Sanskrit terms which translate to Strength and Surrender and how it´s important to find the balance between these two forces both in our practice and in our everyday life. I really connected with these thoughts as I view part of my journey as the discovery of how I can better let go and accept what is around me, while still pushing forward, showing strength and taking a clear direction. The yoga palapa was open on 3 sides lending itself to a gentle breeze in the afternoon heat as well as a view of the rooftops of town and the mountains beyond. If I lived here, I would probably practice at Zen Yoga daily.



The second space I took a class at was a retreat center just out of town called Nica Yoga. Nica Yoga is a yoga resort and studio with a wonderful yoga palapa overlooking the residences on the property and the beautiful saline pool. This class was also led by Kristin, the teachers in town tend to bounce from one studio to another. Since it was a morning class, she slowed things down a bit which was perfect for waking the body up. These past few days have been perfectly hot and sunny, but there is definitely a strong breeze which was blowing mats and items around quite a bit. I can´t complain though as the wind felt amazing! The best part of the class was probably when the roosters started squawking at the end of our shavasana, it was like as if they knew they were supposed to wake us up..only in Nicaragua.

 Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment