Sunday, February 5, 2012

Nicaragua, land of Tranquilo


Upon first arriving in Nicaragua and picking up a fresh coconut water on the side of the road while driving from the airport, I knew I was going to enjoy my stay here. Our destination, San Juan del Sur, was about a 2 hour drive southwest from Managua international airport. The city of SJDS is a thriving small town community offering a mecca to surfers, backpackers and casual tourists alike. Although tourism is certainly the top grossing industry, agriculture would appear to be a close second as evidenced by the daily fresh and local produce, meat, fish and dairy that filled the markets and supplied the daily menu at every restaurant in town. My 5 day stay in SJDS was filled with active adventures such as taking surf lessons at nearby playa madera and hiking up Mt Christo as well as relaxing and unwinding at the local yoga studio and watching the sunset from our hotel balcony. All in all contributing to a peaceful, invigorating and restorative trip. Although SJDS is a small beach town, the cuisine could rival any metropolitan city. Delectable meals we sampled included wood-fired pizza with locally grown arugala (Mauricio's), grilled seafood caught steps away that morning (Bambu Beach) and mediterranean-inspired dishes with a local flavor (El Calibre). Even local breakfasts in the market consisting of fresh fruit and gaillopinto or eggs were local and fresh. True farm to table cuisine. Besides the local food, the local community brings together their own flavor to create a relaxed and friendly energy. I was fascinated by the amount of gringos, mostly American ex-pats, who came down at some point or another and decided to call this home. Singles, couples, even families who are building businesses for both themselves and the community to prosper. From the coffee shop to the real estate office to the yoga studio it definitely made me think about my own future and the endless possibilities of building a life in a non-traditional setting. The week concluded in typical Caulkins' form with a live blues jam session at one of the beach-side bars, courtesy.of the super-talented "Canadian James" and crew on my last night. A perfect way to seal the laid-back vibe. Although I probably consider this leg of my adventure mostly a vacation, thanks Dad, I was certainly able to practice my beginner Spanish skills in preparation for more to come ahead. Below are some snaps of highlights from my trip, enjoy!

View of the beach and town from the balcony of our hotel
Coconut water from the coconut...on the side of the road, literally

The local pool hall

Extra long board for the beginner...I did actually stand up though!

My expert coach for the day, Anna, from Holland, who happens to be the girlfriend of Rex Calderon, top-ranked pro-surfer in Nicaragua.
Mt. Christo, Dad and I hiked to the top 
Chabad House, yes in Nicaragua, just opened 2 weeks ago!

You can take the girl out of NYC, but you can still find a bagel.....well anywhere it seems

One of my favorite spots in town, the local coffee house, El Gato Negro

I´ve landed in Santiago, more to come on that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment