Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome to the Jungle…and the Beach


Ok, so technically, my own adventure has yet to begin, but since I was fortunate enough to join my mom and sister on an extraordinary vacation over the holidays, I thought I would include some of the highlights  and thoughts of Belize. This small Central American country of about 300,000 is bursting with ecological wonders and extremely kind people. We started our trip in the jungle area near San Ignacio, at a spectacular hotel, Black Rock Lodge. I absolutely loved it here, so peaceful and serene. I don't think I have ever slept better than listening to a jungle rainstorm through our open air cabin, waking up to the sunrise. Leisurely days at Black Rock can be spent enjoying a fresh juice overlooking the river, reading a book in a hammock or scoping out Toucans and other birds in the nearby trees. Although we we did enjoy a bit of this relaxing, laid back vibe, we opted to partake in some more adventurous excursions during our time on this side of the country. The ATM  (which stands for Actun Tunichil Muknal) was by far the most interesting outdoor tour I have ever experienced which included hiking through the jungle, wading through rivers and culminated in an extensive climb and swim through ancient Mayan caves while inspecting ritual artifacts including a full human skeleton! Not only did we absorb such rich history and cultural lessons, but to experience such a stark contrast in nature between the humid, lush jungle to the cool, dark cave was an exhilarating experience all in its own. The rest of our time in the jungle was spent meeting new friends during communal dinners at Black Rock, horseback riding, cave tubing down the river and simply relaxing. From San Ignacio we departed to the beach, on the Southern area of San Pedro. I found it pretty remarkable that there could be such a diverse landscape of beach and jungle in one small country, it felt like a whole other world from where we had just come. This part of the trip was much more sun-focused including enjoying some time by the pool, walking along the beach and in the shops in town, taking a water taxi to neighboring islands and  experiencing the best snorkeling I have ever had the opportunity to enjoy. We actually swam among sharks and stingrays.. check out my sister's facebook page for images. After four fabulous meals of grilled lobster and red wine, we ended the fabulous vacation on the highest note. I would 100% venture back to Belize, and since Mom seems to be interested in pursuing the real estate market there, hopefully it won't be too long until I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment