Thursday, March 29, 2012

A snapshot of Uruguay


Uruguay, one of the smaller countries in South America with just over 3 million people, is often overlooked to the traveler/backpacker, but with its proximity to Buenos Aires and beautiful coastal towns, it makes for an excellent weekend or extended trip. I set off for Colonia del Sacramento, a quaint UNESCO town just a 3 hour ferry ride from the port in Buenos Aires. I headed over earlier in the day on Friday and planned to meet two other friends, Melanie, who would be traveling on with me to Montevideo and introducing me to her family that lives there, and Paul, a new friend introduced to us by way of P&G friends back at home. Thanks to Paul, and his Starwood status, we took up a room at the nicest hotel in town, the Sheraton, for a total bargain. It was heaven to stay in a 5 star hotel complete with breakfast, pool, spa, the works...going back to the hostel is certainly going to be rough.. I spent the first day wandering the historic district of the city and enjoying the sunshine along the beach. Once the rest of the group arrived we shared an awesome weekend of great food and wine, bicycling self-tours of the city and a lot of relaxation. Colonia was picturesque, friendly, easy to get around..I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to venture to Uruguay.

view of historic colonia from the top of the lighthouse


Entrance to the historic district


Sheraton= heaven
first night dinner

From Colonia, Melanie and I made or way via bus to Montevideo, the capital city of Uruguay where the majority of her mother's family lives. We stayed with her grandfather, Pedro, in his condo overlooking the beach and although the weather didn't cooperate much with us during our stay there, it was still beautiful to wake up to waves crashing below. In addition to Pedro, I met many of Melanie's cousins, aunts and uncles...a true Uruguayan family immersion. It was a great experience to meet not only someone else's family but someone's family from another culture. They were so wonderful and friendly and I wish I had more time to continue on to Punta del Este with the group for a close of summer beach vacation.

view from Pedro's apartment
Pedro drawing one of his maps

 From Uruguay, its back to BA for a night and then off to Peru to meet Sabrina and prepare for our Machu Picchu adventure...updates and internet could be limited in the next few weeks, but I'll do my best. Wish me luck on the Inca trail. Besos!






No comments:

Post a Comment