Thursday, May 10, 2012

Adventures in the Amazon

Following big city life in Brasil, I ventured to a more tranquilo atmosphere in the heart of the Amazon jungle. In order to get to the more remote areas of the jungle and river, most tours depart out of Manaus, the capital city in the Amazonas region of Brasil, which to be honest wasn´t anything spectacular to write home about, but I had a clean, nice hostel and time to re-gather my things before departing to the middle of the jungle. I had booked a 4-day tour with Amazon Brazil Jungle Tours, which I would highly recommend. It took two boats to get from Manaus to the remote lodge I stayed at on the Rio Juma.
Boat 1 from Manaus

Boat departing second stop

arriving at the lodge
The lodging was basic; there were about 6 huts for guests, the kitchen/dining hut and the family´s home, but it was perfection. Right on the river, hammocks in every hut and even running water which I wasn´t prepared for! All our meals were eaten together in the dining area and each day was filled with amazing guided adventures via canoe through the river animal watching and enjoying the wonder that is mother nature untouched. I was blown away by the peacefulness and beauty, I don´t think I ever been somewhere quite so serene. In the evenings we fished, searched for caymans and even camped in hammocks one night in another area of the jungle away from the lodge. It was a spectacular 4 days, I think I will remember watching dolphins playing as the sun set into a picturesque pink sky for the rest of my life!

Canoing through the jungle
I caught one!
playing with caymans at night
canoeing at sunset
camping in the jungle

No comments:

Post a Comment